Those who reside in Dubai are aware of how crucial driving is to daily life. In this day and age, the ability to drive a car is very important for transportation, and some jobs even require a license as a job requirement. It is, therefore, imperative that you understand the process of renewing your Dubai driving license. You might have learned to drive from an institute, for instance, the Emirates Driving Institute in Dubai. As far as driving institutes go, this is one of the best in the UAE. The UAE has always regarded obtaining a driving license as a major achievement, especially for those residing in Dubai properties as an ex-pat.
In case you are one step behind this stage and are still attempting to enter the city, don’t forget that you could get a residency visa by buying property in Dubai.
So without further ado, we will show you the full details regarding the driving license renewal process in Dubai and its different procedures.
What Paperwork Is Necessary for a Dubai Driver’s License Renewal?
To start with your driving license renewal, you must have all the necessary documents with you. A valid Emirates ID card is necessary for anyone under the age of 21. According to the RTA guidelines, applicants above the age of 21 must bring an original Emirates ID card along with an eye test based on the required category. For residents and other GCC nationals, the license is valid for five years.
Residents under the age of 21 may also apply for a probationary license to drive. Upon receiving a first-time learner’s permit, the applicant may apply for a driving test six months later.
Where Can I Find an Eye Test Center in Dubai to Renew My Driver’s License?
Any driver’s license application in any nation requires an eye exam; the same applies to renewing your driving license in Dubai. Following the eye exam, the optical store will update your personal data on the system so you can move on to the next phase. It is really important and noteworthy to know that you don’t need to go for an eye test in certain cases. If an eye test has been done, for example, the results are valid for up to three years. Therefore, you won’t need any kind of eye test if you are renewing your driving license for the first time, which is done after a two-year interval. Make sure to pay all fines and fees before proceeding to apply for a driver’s license renewal at the optician.
Dubai has a number of eye test centers, including:
- Dubai Optical
- Yateem Optician
- Malak Typing – Photocopying & Optical
- Emirates Driving Institute – Eye Test
- Salik Optical
- Barakat Optical
- Belhasa Driving Centre – Eye Test
- Al Jaber Optical Centre
- Executive Optical Centre
- International Optical
- Leen Optics
- Grand Optics
- Rivoli Eye Zone
How to Renew Your Driver’s License in Dubai?
The application process is quite simple. There are, however, a variety of ways in which you can accomplish this. These include RTA smart Kiosks, the Dubai Drive mobile app, customer delight centers, service centers, and the website of the Road and Transport Authority (RTA). For each, we’ll walk you through the procedure step-by-step.
Renew Your Driver’s License on RTA Website
The RTA official website delivers a perfect and user-friendly tool for online Driver’s license renewal in Dubai. Whether you desire to apply for a new license or just renew your previous one, make sure to follow these steps:
- The client must undergo an eye exam before submitting a renewal application for their driver’s license. The applicant must visit one of the authorized eye testing centers.
- If the fines were assessed on the prior license, the consumer is responsible for paying them.
- The customer applies for renewal of their driving license.
- The client should then make the necessary payments. Customers under the age of 21 are required to pay 100 AED in addition to an extra 20 AED for knowledge and innovation. If a client is older than 21, however, the cost is 300 AED plus an extra 20 AED for expertise and creativity.
- While waiting for your original license, you can use a temporary driving license through email to print and have it with you. Only 5 to 15 business days are allowed for the temporary license to be used. You can get it by reaching a customer happiness center at Al Barsha or Deira or by a courier, although you need to pay an additional charge of 25 AED.
Renew Your Driver’s License through Dubai Drive App
The process of applying through the Dubai Drive mobile app is just the same as that of the website. The only thing you need to make sure of is that you, the driver, should have a mobile phone first. You can then follow the app’s guide to renewing your driving license; it’s really that easy!
You can renew your driver’s license easily with the RTA Dubai Drive App. Both Android and iOS devices can access the app.
- Call Center
- Call the RTA call center, whose Phone No. is 8009090, and speak to the agent about your license renewal
- Give your RTA driver’s license number to the agent when asked
- Then you must pay the fines or fees with a credit card to receive a temporary license through email
- The temporary license is only acceptable for 5 to 15 working days
- Obtain your license at a Happiness Center in Al Barsha or Deira
- Receive your license delivered by paying AED 25 for shipping charges
Renew Your Driver’s License through RTA Smart Kiosks
Most ex-pats in Dubai apply for their driver’s license renewal through the RTA website, call center, or smartphone apps. However, there is a large number of transactions recorded regarding the increasing use of smart kiosks, also known as self-service smart machines.
The process of license renewal from a kiosk is just the same as license renewal through Service Centers. Here are the kiosks in Dubai used for driver’s license renewal:
- Customer Happiness Centre in Umm Ramool
- Customer Happiness Centre in Deira
- Customer Happiness Centre in Al Barsha
- Customer Happiness Centre in Al Manarah
- Customer Happiness Centre in Al Towar
- Customer Happiness Centre in Al Aweer
- Customer Happiness Centre in Al Kifaf
- Speed Fit
- Muhaisna Shamil
- Tasjeel Al Tawar
- Barsha Tasjeel
- Tamam Vehicle Testing
- Al Qusais Tasjeel
- Wasel Belhasa
- Quick Cars Testing
The owner of the driver’s license must go to any RTA kiosk and take the steps outlined below in order to renew their license at an RTA smart self-service kiosk:
- Find License Renewal by selecting e-service.
- Next, you must type in your license number.
- The transaction fees and any applicable fines must be paid. Your new original driving license will then be printed through the same kiosk that you are currently using.
Renewing Driver’s License at an Optician
RTA-trusted opticians in Dubai can also renew your driver’s license. To renew your RTA driver’s license at the eye doctor, simply follow the instructions below:
- First, you need to pass an eye-fixed test
- Then Provide your Visa copy & Passport
- After that, you must show your Emirates ID card
- Then Submit your passport-size photo
- You must also need to pay the license renewal fee in cash
- Then finally, receive your temporary driver’s license at an equivalent time (normally 5 to 15 work days)
While you wait for your own original license, a temporary license will be sent to you via email to print. It can be delivered by courier for a one-time fee of just 25 AED through a customer delight center in Al Barsha or Deira, or both.
Does Dubai Require an International Driving License (IDL)?
No, Dubai does not require an international driving license (IDL). The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) in Dubai allows visitors to drive with a valid driving license from any country in the world, provided it is in English or Arabic. Visitors and tourists can drive in Dubai with their foreign driving license for up to 6 months from the date of entry in the UAE. However, if the driving license is not in English or Arabic, it must be attested and translated into either of these languages by the embassy of the issuing country. Alternatively, a visitor can obtain an International Driver’s Permit (IDP) from their country of origin, which is valid for up to one year. The IDP should be used in conjunction with a valid foreign driving license.
This is very beneficial for those who travel frequently or have a Dubai work visa and permit.
What Are the Penalties for Delay Regarding Dubai’s Driving License Renewal?
Your Dubai driving license renewal will cost AED 10 more per month if it takes longer than ten years. The maximum fine might be AED 500 if the renewal process is delayed. If your driver’s license has been out of active service for more than ten years, you can only renew it after passing the required road test.
Dubai’s major costs of living are enough to deal with without having to pay such fees. This is why it is important to keep track of your license renewal date and make sure to renew it before it lapses. To avoid this fee, it is recommended that you renew your license at least two months prior to its expiration. Renewing your license on time helps you save money and avoid the hassle of taking a road test.
Time to Renew your Driving License in Dubai
We hope this guide regarding Driving License Renewal in Dubai was useful for you. As you can see, the procedures mentioned in this article were quite simple and straightforward. We didn’t want to explain only one procedure because the UAE has utilized advanced methods for receiving a new driver’s license or even renewing one in order to set its residents at ease. An international driving license (IDL) is also crucial for those who travel frequently or have a Dubai work visa and permit.
frequently asked questions
The cost of renewing a driver's license in Dubai is around AED 100. If the renewal process is delayed, the cost will increase by AED 10 per month. The maximum fine might be AED 500 if the renewal process is delayed for more than ten years.
Generally, it takes approximately two weeks to receive a new driver's license in Dubai. The application process must first be submitted online, after which the applicant will receive a text message confirming the submission. The applicant will then have to visit the Vehicle Licensing Department to submit the required documents and have the medical test done. After that, the applicant will have to wait for the license to be processed and issued. Once the license is issued, the applicant will receive a text message informing them that the license is ready for collection. The applicant can then collect the driver's license from the Vehicle Licensing Department.
Yes, if the driver's license is not renewed in time, it could lead to a suspension of the license and a fine. The fine will depend on the time of renewal, with AED 10 per month for early renewal and a maximum fine of AED 500 for those renewing after 10 years. After the driver's license is suspended, the driver must go through the process of license renewal again, which includes passing the required road test and meeting other requirements.