Law No. (7) of 2013 Concerning the Land Department (1) Article (6-10)
Functions of the Department – Article (6)
In addition to the functions assigned to it by virtue of the legislation in force, the Department will have the duties and powers to:
- Set and follow-up the implementation of the policies and strategies related to implementing the Dubai Strategic Plan with respect to developing and regulating the real property sector in the Emirate;
- Register real property through updating and developing real property registration systems of the Department consistent with the latest international systems in this regard;
- Regulate real property activities through setting the rules regulating the escrow accounts for real property development, real estate brokerage offices, and joint ownership;
- Encourage investment in real property through providing investors with information and data on real property investment opportunities in the Emirate;
- Propose the initiatives and policies required for achieving the objectives of the Department, particularly those related to real property promotion and investment in the Emirate;
- Propose the legislation regulating the real property sector in the Emirate, conduct post-application evaluation of such legislation, regulate the relationship between landlords and tenants, and register lease contracts of real property units;
- License and supervise real property activities in the Emirate and monitor those engaging in them;
- Set, in cooperation and coordination with the competent entities, the appropriate measures that ensure the protection and stability of the real property market in the Emirate;
- Undertake real property promotion within and outside the Emirate through organising and participating in local, regional, and international real property conferences, events, and exhibitions;
- Consider applications of real property investors to obtain the benefits prescribed by the legislation and the policies adopted by the Department;
- Prepare and issue reports and studies specialised in the real property market to increase awareness, prepare bulletins and data to support these studies, and provide decision-makers with the findings of such studies to benefit from them in setting and implementing the Government policies and programmes;
- Provide information and data to investors on real property investment opportunities in the Emirate;
- Provide real property valuation services;
- Conduct land surveys and re-surveys and issue maps thereof;
- Disseminate real property knowledge through preparing and implementing various real property training programmes to qualify those working on the real property market, including developers, real estate brokers, and other persons engaging in real property activities in the Emirate, and prepare and conduct educational and awareness programmes on the rights and duties of those involved in the real property sector;
- Provide specialised real property consultations for real estate developers, brokers, investors and others;
- Prepare and implement programmes and projects that contribute to promoting the role of UAE nationals and encouraging them to work in the real property sector;
- Organise real property seminars, workshops, and conferences that aim to discuss issues related to the real property market, and propose appropriate solutions for them;
- Assess the performance of the affiliated entities of the Department and ensure that they perform the duties and services assigned to them;
- Prepare, develop, and periodically update a unified central database for the Real Property Activities in the Emirate, and make the data accessible to serve the objectives and purposes of planning and decision-making;
- Form real property councils and groups, and advisory committees comprising persons with expertise in the various areas related to real property to provide the Department with opinions and advice on issues referred to it;
- Perform any other duties required for the achievement of the objectives of the Department.
Chairman of the Department – Article (7)
A. A Chairman will be appointed to the Department pursuant to a decree issued by the Ruler.
B. The Chairman will undertake the general supervision of the Department and make decisions as he deems appropriate to achieve its objectives. In particular, the Chairman will:
- Approve the general policy and strategic plans of the Department and its affiliated entities;
- Approve the organisational structure of the Department and its affiliated entities;
- Approve the draft annual budget and final accounts of the Department;
- Approve the fees and charges for the services provided by the Department and its affiliated entities;
- Perform any other duties or exercise any other powers related to the work of the Department and assigned to him by the Ruler.
C. The Chairman may delegate any of the powers vested in him by virtue of this Law or any other legislation to the Director-General.
Director General – Article (8)
A. A Director General will be appointed to the Department pursuant to a decree issued by the Ruler.
B. The Director General will undertake the supervision of the administrative, technical, and financial affairs of the Department, and will represent it before third parties. In particular, he will:
- Propose the general policy and strategic plans of the Department and its affiliated entities, and supervise the implementation of these policies and plans upon being approved;
- Propose the organisational structure of the Department and its affiliated entities;
- Approve the bylaws and resolutions regulating the administrative, financial, and technical work of the Department and its affiliated entities;
- Propose the annual draft budget of the Department and prepare its final accounts;
- Propose the fees and charges for the services provided by the Department and its affiliated entities;
- Supervise the work of the executive body of the Department and its affiliated entities;
- Supervise the work of the executive directors of the affiliated entities of the Department and their implementation of the strategic and operational plans of their respective entities; and
- Perform any other duties assigned to him by the Chairman.
Executive Body of the Department – Article (9)
The executive body of the Department will be comprised of a number of administrative and technical employees. The Government of Dubai Human Resources Management Law No. (27) of 2006 and its amendments will apply to these employees.
Affiliated Entities of the Department – Article (10)
A. Specialised entities working in areas related to regulating, conducting, and developing Real Property Activities in the Emirate may be affiliated with the Department.
B. The Department may, in accordance with its needs and the work requirements of its affiliated entities, propose redefining the goals and objectives, dissolution, or merger of these entities. These proposals will be submitted to the competent authorities for approval.
C. Affiliated entities of the Department will implement the adopted plans and policies, and will submit periodic reports to the Director General on their work and programmes as well as the statistics, studies, and information available to these affiliated entities.